Monday 8 September 2008

Friendly Lamb

I was out giving my dog her usual walk and after going along the canal, over the bridge,over the fence and back into the field to go home we came amoungst a flock of sheep. Now this is not a problem as we are use to sheep and Dizzy(the dog) ignores the sheep and as a rule they ignore her to. Today was different though because as the sheep scattered out of the way one lamb stood it's ground and didn't run away with the rest. Dizzy had gone ahead of me so i gently approached the lamb and it let me stroke it's head and sratch it's ears! This has not happened to me before and whether it will again i'll wait and see but it was quite something to experience. The sheep usually scatter and run away although we mean them no harm (saying that i'm not a veggie and roast lamb is quite a favourite--sorry) so perhaps they are wise to run?
I really hope i come across the friendly lamb again, will i recognise him/her and vice versa let's hope so or will the lamb be influenced by the rest of the flock and run away?

3 comments:

Catriona said...

This reminds me of an almost opposite experience I had this summer whilst walking Offa's Dyke with a friend.

Having walked down a farm track, we spotted a sign on the gate saying that if you were followed by their dog you were to say 'get away home.'

We crossed into a field of rather inquisitive cattle (my walking friend is slightly afraid of cattle), so, flippantly I said to them 'get away home'- and they came nearer, herding us towards the fence!! So beware saying this phrase, because who knows what it might mean in sheep language!

Unknown said...

Cool place this, me duck!!

Want to know how ducks were created? Go visit bengallagher.com :-)

Julie said...

I have tagged you in a meme - see my blog- Julie